10 November 2010

An 11-month novel

I love Russian literature. A couple of years ago, I read Tolstoy's War and Peace for the fun of it.

Today, I'd like to announce that I have finished Anna Karenina, just about eleven months after I started it. It is only 800 and some-odd pages; but for some reason, it took me about seven-eight months longer to finish it than to finish War and Peace.

Whatever. I finished it today. And now I must be off, in search of another ridiculously long book to read in between all my other, shorter books. I'm thinking about Tristram Shandy. Any other suggestions?

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Did you like both of them? I've been thinking I should read those, but I want to know if people actually ENJOY them in addition to feeling like they ought to read them. :-)

Charity said...

I did enjoy them. I kept reading War and Peace just to see what happened (though I admit to skimming some bits toward the end).

I appreciate that Tolstoy can make such epic stories so accessible; the way he can get into characters' heads and yet make several pages of internal monologue interesting is unmatched by anything else I've ever read.

hanananah said...

Ridiculously long books are great. I read Atlas Shrugged this summer and have The Brothers Karamazov waiting on my shelf.