02 April 2011

My New Job

I said in January that I had accepted a new job, and I am pleased to say it was the right move. I'm am the Business Office Manager (BOM) at the Rochester, MN branch of Amedisys Home Health.

After one week on the job, I got to go on a real, big-girl business trip to get training from the BOM at the Amedisys office in Minneapolis. So all week, I got to stay in a Marriott and watch cable. (I tried jumping on the bed, but it was not very bouncy.)

After about four weeks on the job, I realized that I was born for it. Or it was made for me. Or something. I love it sooooooo much. I can't really explain why, except that it feels like my whole life has been leading up to this job. Even my unemployment in Portland was a factor in my getting here; if I hadn't been unemployed, I never would have worked for Amedisys as a temp in Portland. Funny how all that works.

I tried to explain to my siblings what I do at work all day, and all I can really say is, "I fax things and write emails and answer the phones and make coffee and files papers." It sounds boring, but I'm never bored.

I always thought that a job I'd love would be in an industry I love. But my life experiences have proved me mostly wrong. I worked in travel and in bridal (industries I love), and I loved neither one of those jobs. Now I'm working in home health (which I'm not even that excited about), and I love the job.

Perhaps the biggest thing that has come from this is, I've stopped trying to get somewhere with my life. This job is a place where I can just be. Ever since college, I've always been looking toward the future, analyzing how "where I am" could take me "where I want to be," wishing I were already onto the next phase of life. But here, I feel like I can invest and delete all my subscriptions to CareerBuilder and Indeed.com. After over a year of job hunting, that is a very, very nice place to be.

Don't get me wrong - I know I won't be in this job for the rest of my life. But if I died tomorrow, I wouldn't regret not being elsewhere. If that makes sense.

What about you? Where have life crazy connections taken you? Or where do you wish they would take you?

1 comment:

Jessica said...

That is fantabulous! I was thinking about you the other day and hoping you'd landed somewhere awesome. Yay!