01 January 2012

Dec Reads and Year-End Literary Reflections



December recommendation: Divergent. It’s the newest book in the newest wave of young adult literature (post-apocalyptic), and it received the 2011 GoodReads Choice Award. Fantastically written and not nearly as violent as The Hunger Games, it’s a fast but thought-provoking read. I read it in a day.

2011 recommendation: The Hunger Games. I know it’s all like mainstream and stuff now, and they’re coming out with a movie, but they were the only books this year for which I lost sleep. Bethany asked me earlier this month what I thought of them, and I responded, “The trilogy is violent, psychologically disturbing, heart-wrenching, and kind of disgusting. Yet it manages to be fascinating, riveting, and utterly fabulous.” I think that about sums it up.

My thought on post-vampire YA lit: I’ve now read three entire series of YA post-apocalyptic literature, and Divergent. In each one, the protagonist is a teenage girl. I understand why this is so (that’s their market, teenage girls provide easy fodder for conflict, etc.), but I would be interested in a series that sees the breakdown (or re-making) of social constructs through the eyes of a boy, or even a couple of characters.

On the other hand, books like Jasper Fforde’s Shades of Grey and Lois Lowry’s The Giver are not YA, and their protagonists are male. I find this to be an interesting distinction.

Aaaaanyway, here is my total count for the year:
Books finished: 58 
Most books read in a month: 13
Books unread on my shelf: Ummm...I can't remember. I think it's like 6. 

Goal for 2012: Tristram Shandy. Get ready for some blogging, baby, because it’s a doozy. 

1 comment:

Ethan said...

You should read the Hungry City Chronicles by Philip Reeve, starting with Mortal Engines. Post-post apocalyptic, fascinating, GREAT characters, and a seamless series that actually has you applauding the end. I know!

You won't regret it.