06 January 2011

Literary Aspirations, Ambitions, and Resolutions

Best 5 books read by me in 2010:
- Harry Potter series (can't believe it took me this long to read them in the first place, but now I've re-read at least half of them)
- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
- Anna Karenina
- Water for Elephants
- At Home

A few times in life, I've tried to keep track of what books I've read and want to read, but I always end up losing the list or forgetting to update it. So I've decided that for 2011, I'm going to keep track of the titles of the books I read and post at the end of every month the number of books I've finished (not started, since that rarely corresponds to the number of books I finish in any given month).

I already have two books finished in January, so let's see if I can keep this fun, useful, painless resolution.

Literary ambitions for 2011:
- Tristram Shandy. I've started it a couple of times, but I'm determined to read it in its entirety this year.
- all the unread books on my bookshelf. I made a promise to myself a couple of years ago that I would read every unread book on my shelf. I've been doing well; this promise has prompted me to discard some books I knew I'd never read (Moby Dick may join that pile this year), accumulate some I've always wanted to read, and use the library instead of the used bookstore far more often. As of Jan 1, 2011, I have 9 un- or partially-read books of my own; we shall see how that list fluctuates from month to month.

What are you reading now? What books do you want to read/finish this year? Let me know in the comments!

(And, for those of you who are wondering, I do have a goodreads account, but I can't ever remember to maintain it. A simple list every month may be the best way to get back into keeping track of my literary history.)

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I intend to read Anna Karenina this year! I also want to read Moby Dick--I'll read it if you will. :-)

Anonymous said...

you need this:

http://www.amazon.com/Books-Check-Out-Imagineering-Company/dp/0811829863/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294411428&sr=8-1

my list includes the following: catch 22, the life of pi, three cups of tea, shop class as soulcraft, into the wild, the know it all, and a number of counseling books that i will read against my own free will. :)