29 January 2011

New job!

I've been working at a bridal shop in the town where I live, and everything was fine-ish there. I love, love, love the bridal industry, and the shop where I've been working is one of the nicest bridal shops ever. But the boss was less-than-ideal, and I never really got to the place where I stopped looking for other jobs (though part of that may have been habit from the last two years of un- and partial-employment).

Two Wednesdays ago, I had this thought: maybe I should look at jobs site for Amedisys Home Health - the company I was temping for in Portland. Since I was at work, I put the thought away in my to-access-later file and went on with my day.

A couple of hours later, I took my lunch break and noticed a voicemail on my phone from one of my former coworkers at the bridal shop (who was able to quit and move on to other things before I was). The voicemail was basically something like this: "My mom is the director of Amedisys Home Health in Rochester, and she needs a Business Office Manager. Call me if you're interested." Oh yeah, I had never told her that I had worked for Amedisys in Portland.

So by the end of the work day, I had an interview scheduled for 9:00 a.m. the next day. On Thursday, I interviewed; on Friday, I accepted the job. On Monday, I put in my one-week notice at the bridal shop.

Here are the great things about the job:
* Mon-Fri, 8-5
* managerial status - it's one step up the corporate ladder from where I was in Portland
* my own office! My last office was a little lime-green room in Australia with barely enough room for my desk and a filing cabinet.
* the money. It's a salaried position, and let's just say I'll be able to save some money now instead of spending it all on attending other people's weddings and fixing my car.
* it was seriously plopped in my lap. When I think about how God brought me to this place, it rearranges my whole perspective on my bullet-pointed life plan.

The one downside is that they want a long-term commitment - probably at least a couple of years. This isn't like a retail job where I can just quit whenever I feel like moving to a different state or city. And, overall, I'm not in love with Minnesota - or the home health industry, for that matter. But I feel like two years in a managerial post will position me better for launching into the industry I DO want to be in (book publishing). And it's not exactly terrible to be a professional, salaried career woman at 30 years old.

So...yeah. I start Monday. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Anna Ahrens said...

YEAAAAAAaaaaaa! I'm SO EXCITED for you!!!! :-) Yeah, I'm not exactly FOND of you over there in Minnesota either. BUT maybe you can transfer back to Oregon at some point in time. Good luck on Monday. Love and miss you!

Rehtaeh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.