19 August 2011

New job!...kinda


On the last Tuesday in July, my office was notified that our branch would be closing in 30 days. As this was the third time I'd been laid off in 27 months, my initial reaction was, "Wow, I get 30 days' notice. What a luxury!" Simultaneously, I was relieved because I hadn't made any major life changes since starting the job on January 31, and I was getting kind of bored. (See previous post for list of major life changes in my adult life.)

Nevertheless, the announcement was at least a little sad. Ever since I got the job at Amedisys Home Health, I've felt like I was born to be a Business Office Manager (BOM) with this company; but what I really wanted to do was be a "traveler," a person who goes to an office for 12-13 weeks at a time and then moves on.

To date, however, the only jobs like that have been for nurses and therapists. Soooooo...when I found out my office was closing, I got in touch with the people who recruit travelers and told them what I wanted to do, and they thought it was a great idea. So they created the position. And offered me lots of money to fill it.

The same week they decided to create the position, the office in Joplin, Missouri contacted them to see if they had any ideas for getting help while their BOM is on maternity leave beginning in September. So perfect!

The last day my office will be open is August 26. Then I'm taking off a week to pack and get my wisdom teeth pulled. Then on Labor Day weekend, I'm moving down to Joplin for 12 weeks, which I think makes my last day right before Thanksgiving.

The office in Joplin was destroyed in a tornado in May, which presents its own challenges, but I'm still super excited! I get chills every time I talk to people about this opportunity. It happened with so little effort on my part that it makes me wonder why I ever worry about anything. :-P

I think the thing that makes me the most excited is that life isn't thwarting me right now. For years, I've felt like life is a game of pinball; I thought I was the player, but I'm realizing that I'm just the ball. Maybe right now, I'm just in the chute waiting for God to thwack me out again, but I'm sure as anything going to enjoy it while it lasts.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Ooooooh. That's SO COOL. :-D I can't wait to hear about this new adventure!