28 August 2011

August Reads

This month, my 12-year-old brother and I discovered the 39 Clues series, promptly checked all of them out from the library, and devoured them like they were...um, due back soon?

We both liked them, especially because they were written by different people - some old favorite authors, and some up-and-comers. I appreciated that the books were fun and fast; but they didn't sugar-coat the evil that people will stoop to in order to acquire unlimited power, and they didn't gloss over grief and healing.

Here they are in order:
Maze of Bones by Rick Riordan
One False Note by Gordon Korman
The Sword Thief by Peter Lerangis
Beyond the Grave by Jude Watson
The Black Circle by Patrick Carman
In Too Deep by Jude Watson
The Viper's Nest by Peter Lerangis
The Emperor's Code by Gordon Korman
Storm Warning by Linda Sue Park
Into the Gauntlet by Margaret Peterson Haddix
Vespers Rising by Rick Riordan, Peter Lerangis, Jude Watson, and Gordon Korman

I also read a new young adult book: As You Wish by Jackson Pearce. It was a cute story about a girl and a genie, made especially impressive by the fact that the kid in the story was a kid - not just a mini adult.

I've notice that I've been reading a lot of young adult books lately. Rest assured, it's probably just a phase. I still haven't given up on Moby Dick, though I think I've officially given up on Adam Bede by George Eliot.

2 comments:

amber colleen said...

I love YA books. I devour them like candy. (mostly because I write YA and entirely because I just enjoy them a lot). I'm finding a lot more new YA writers are very VERY good writers. The genre is getting better and better quality writers and I LOVE it. I really like Jackson Pearce from what I've seen of her vlogs and such. I have her book Sisters Red that I want to read as soon as I get a chance.

Ethan said...

I love the 39 clues. I actually learned a lot from them! Just goes to show you can actually make education fun.

Although I haven't read Vespers Rising yet.