05 September 2010

Bad Blue Beta

Last Sunday, I went to the pet store to buy a fish (since my fishbowl was looking rather lonely, and it was starting to collect random crap from my room). 

I got to PetSmart and found out that my only choice for a non-filtered, non-heated fishbowl was a beta. I'm not a huge fan of betas since they are pretty typical. I mean, someone says they have a fish, and you're like, "what kind?" and they're always like "goldfish" or "beta." But some of the betas at the fish store were blue, which intrigued me since I'd never seen blue ones. And the lady there said it was okay to put a male and female together in the same bowl. 

So I got a male and female (both blue) and named them Percy and Mary Shelley, hoping they'd fall in love and make babies...or at least not kill each other.


Well, they've been pretty lazy and non-interested in each other. Until today. 

When I changed their water this morning, it looked like they were playing together nicely, and I had high hopes for my little fishy romance. This evening, my mom looked at them and said, "I think he's eating her." 

Sure enough, Mary's fin was chewed on, and some scales were missing from both sides of her face. So I had to move her to one of my mom's glass mixing bowls, and she seems much happier. 

I feel kinda bad that Percy and Mary's marriage ended so badly; but I did my part in stopping domestic beta violence today, and I feel good about that.

But now I have to get Mary Shelley her own fish bowl so my mom can have her mixing bowl back. Pet ownership is SUCH a big responsibility.

1 comment:

Krystal said...

I'm so proud of you, my sister, for doing your part to make this world better. Stepping in on domestic beta violence is harsh business.