07 September 2010

In Defense of "Like"

Many are the times I’ve heard an older person descry young people’s (over)use of the word “like.” I am here today to defend its usage in language, in everyday speech, and – yes – in the vocabulary of young people.
Like is such a versatile word. Up there with the word “okay,” which I know old people use frequently. Here are some of the many ways it is used:

·         CONJUNCTION: To replace “as if” or “as though.” As an editor, I defend this usage because it cuts the needed words by 50%.
Example: “He asked me to do the solo – like I know how to sing or something.”

·         ADJECTIVE: To substitute for “approximately” or the suffix “-ish.” As an English-speaker, I defend this usage because it is much easier to say than “approximately” and less tacked-on than “-ish.”
Example: “The solo is like five hours long.”
            “I thought it was 230 minutes.”
            “Something like that.”

·         PUNCTUATION: To indicate quoted speech coming up (in verbal communication only). I defend this usage because it means that we don’t have to say “comma, opening quotation marks” and then “closing quotation marks” when we’re quoting someone in speech.
Example: “I was like what, me? And he was like yeah, I think you have a nice voice. Then I was like thanks I guess.”

·         VERB: It provides an alternative to the word “love.” As a writer, I defend this usage because the word “love” is overused and undervalued.
Example: “I liked the solo, but I didn’t love it; it wasn’t as good as last year’s.”

·         INTERJECTION: It replaces the word “um.” As a former student of speech class, I defend this usage because “um” gets really annoying.
Example: “What did you think of, like, the choir robes?”
“Honestly, like, color was okay, but the style was kind of early-90s.”

·         PRONOUN(?): To hedge around things that you might not exactly know, or at least don’t want to take responsibility for. As a talkative person, I defend this usage because it means I don’t have to think for a long time before I say some things.
Example: “There was like a red choir robe and a black choir robe I could choose from.” (NOTE: This could mean that the choir robes were pink and dark green; but use of the word “like” gives the speaker wiggle-room.)

And if you’re really short on vocabulary, you can always use them all at the same time: “When he was like, I liked it, I was like stunned or something. I mean, like, the singer did an awesome job – not like last year when it was like soooooo boring, I like fell asleep. Anyway, it’s not like he even knows what he’s talking about.”

6 comments:

Jessica said...

I, like, totally like you. (Well, I love you, too, but this post puts another peg in the 'like' column for me!)

Anonymous said...

Charity, my dear, you ROCK! :-)
-RoseAnna

Steve Dougan said...

Durn kids. Outta my yard!

Jillyn said...

Sheer brilliance. <3

Also reminds me of a couple Taylor Mali poems. I suspect you already know of him, but I'll link you anyway. ^_^

Totally Like Whatever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCNIBV87wV4
Like Lilly Like Wilson: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tshNfYWPlDg

Charity said...

Thanks, Jillyn! That totally makes me happy. How have I never discovered this guy before?

Unknown said...

You're like totally a nerd ;-)